Wayneflete’s Towert: 01252 721194
More in this section
Make an Enquiry
Also known as Fox’s Tower
William Waynflete (1447 – 1486) built this tower about 1470. It stands on the foundations of an earlier, smaller stone entrance or ‘porch’ to the Great Hall.
Waynflete pioneered the use of red brick, also used in the construction of Hampton Court Palace and many Oxford and Cambridge Colleges.
Two sundials refer to the passing hours with Latin mottos:
• “Practereunt” (“They pass by”)
• “Imputantur” (“They are reckoned unto us”)
Richard Fox (1501 – 1528), the ‘blind Bishop’, carried out extensive modifications to the tower and south side of the buildings. Fox also created the regular series ofsteps leading up to the Castle from the town. There are seven steps in each of the first six flights with seven paces between each flight.
Though Bishop Morley (1662 – 1684) spent enormous sums of money to renovate the Bishop’s Palace, he led a simple and austere life. On the east (right) side of the tower, is a small room or ‘cell’ little bigger than a cupboard. Bishop Morley slept here, rising at five every morning, working without a fire.