An original 12th century building, the Chapel is probably the oldest part of the Bishop’s Palace. Restored in the 1930s, it still retains many Norman features:
Pure round Norman arches in the south wall
Wider pointed Transitional arches in the north wall. Installed by Bishop Aymer de Valence (1250 – 1261), accounts show payment for Caen stone and stonemasons in 1254. One is now blocked off by the Tudor Wing.
A barrel vault roof covered by the main roof. The surface of limestone embedded in lime mortar has survived because it is not exposed to the elements. The only known example of an enclosed Norman barrel vault roof, it