The Bishop’s Camerat: 01252 721194
More in this section
Make an Enquiry
The Bishop’s Camera
In Latin, ‘camera’ means a private room.
In the style of a first floor Norman hall house, this 13th century construction provided private accommodation for the bishop. A spiral stone stair just outside the Great Hall led to the upper floor with storage and stabling below.
In 1340, alterations increased the height of the walls to match buildings to the south. The present scissor beam roof, one of the finest examples in England, has recently been dated to 1381. A ceiling added by Bishop Morley during his alterations now hides this roof.
The mantelpiece and door are of the Adam period (1760 – 1792). Bishop Thorold (1891 – 1895) added the bay window. The stained glass shows his coat of arms. The French windows overlooking the garden were also put in at this time.
Today, the Bishop’s Camera is used as a conference and meeting room.